The Waldorf School of Princeton began as a playgroup that met in the home of Caroline Phinney and Princeton University professor Bob Phinney in January 1983.
By the 1984 school year, a full 18-member nursery-kindergarten was established. In 1986, the grade school was inaugurated with a first grade taught by Ekkehard Heyder. The value of Waldorf education quickly became known and a new grade one was added each year after that for seven years.
Since its founding, an energetic and resourceful community has continued to be enthusiastic about Waldorf education. This enabled the school to acquire the current farmhouse in 1987. Located on over 20 acres of meadows, woods, and a stream, this “Golden House” held the grade school students while kindergarten programs thrived in satellite locations in Hopewell, Princeton, and Princeton Junction.
Campus expansion continued with an eye toward retaining the original farmhouse charm and keeping environmental impact low. In 1998, a new grade school building opened and the school’s programs continued to flourish.
Enhancements and renovations were not limited to the classroom buildings. Tennis courts and sports fields were created in 2005, adding to the outdoor “gymnasium” that students enjoy. A solar greenhouse in the form of a geodesic dome was completed with community efforts in 2007. By 2008, the school reached its goal of complete campus consolidation. Today, all of the early childhood and grade school programs are housed on the main campus.
“Our highest endeavor must be to develop free human beings who are able of themselves to impart purpose and direction to their lives.”
—Dr. Rudolf Steiner (1861-1925)